Firm Introduction and Overview
Following a distinguished career as a management and computer technology consultant and partner at an international consulting firm, Warren Reid founded WSR Consulting Group, LLC in 1988 a firm specializing Computer Crisis Consulting (assisting parties in turning around large-scale systems projects in trouble, and as Expert Witnesses in Software and Software Project Failure and IP Infringement Litigation Matters.
On this webpage we present:
WSR Consulting Group, LLC (herein after "WSRcg") is a management consulting company with deep expertise and broad experience in the conduct of systems, software, ERP and internet development/implementation projects and the management of information technology issues.
WSRcg consulting and expert witness teams draw upon a wealth of experience and expertise to give clients, attorneys, and triers of fact powerful insight, foresight and hindsight into information technology issues, projects, challenges and disputes. Our experience, training and expertise enable us to perceive, confirm, and articulate the critical success factors needed to uncover the oftentimes hidden root causes of project slippage and to help set the course to complete the project(s) successfully. WSRcg knows how and which events, actions and intentions make large-scale computer systems projects succeed and what makes them fail, i.e., resulting in unacceptable cost overruns, schedule delays, missing functionality, poor performance, missed stakeholder expectations, and taking on excessive risk. We deliver that knowledge as:
- management consultants during on-going projects, or
- expert witnesses in the course of disputes and litigation.
If a project is going off the rails, we can advise on how to turn it around by following our proprietary methodology: CPR (Cooperative Project Recovery) – Reviving the Drowning Large-Scale IT Project (V2.0) © Copyright 2007 by Warren S. Reid. All Rights Reserved at http://www.wsrcg.com/PDFs/CPRversion2-2008-06-07.pdf. This methodology is based upon years of experience, knowledge and expertise gained in saving (or attempting to save) runaway projects.
Back to Top
The experience of WSRcg’s senior managers and expert witnesses have shown that a deep understanding and appreciation of the appropriate industry standards and project management and systems development life cycle (SDLC) methodologies regarding how to build reliable, useable, maintainable, function rich and modifiable high-quality systems is equally applicable to successfully:
- building new software applications, ERP systems, Internet systems
- customizing applications and systems
- turning around failing systems and software projects (including ERP systems interfaces to legacy systems)
- getting to the root causes of failure in litigation, i.e., what events happened, which decisions were made and actions taken, why, when, by whom, what were the results of these actions – and how did these actions and results contribute to the disputed areas in the case.
These industry practices, among others, include: PMBOK, SWEEBOK, Method/1, DOD, IEEE, CMMi, ISO 9xxx.
Understanding the reasoning, intent and manner in which to follow and to sometimes thoughtfully deviate from these and other standards is what makes development and implementation projects, system turnaround projects, and IT project failure litigation very similar – and what is very important and necessary to reach successful conclusions – even if these conclusions were not exactly what was originally hoped for or planned.
According to some judges that WSRcg has spoken with, knowing how to explain what has happened in a clear manner and what needs to happen (or needed to happen) from a specific point onward in a way that is actionable by the appropriate project managers/staff, corporate CXOs and/or triers of fact is key to getting your best results.
The expert witnesses at WSRcg have been selected for their thorough hands-on experience and expertise in the critical methodology areas listed below – many or most of which are part of every type of assignment we undertake and every litigation matter we take on AND they know how to communicate extremely well.
Back to Top
- Hire the best professionals and pay them well,
- Use WSRcg’s tested methodology for performing litigation and consulting assignments,
- Assist counsel in the discovery process wherever and whenever possible. Use our expertise in IT to request and make sure e-discovery is received in a complete, comprehensible, readable and readily useable manner.
- Request non-obvious and/or seemingly non-relevant types of “document packages/types” which, based on our first hand experience in other similar disputes, can open up the whole case to new possibilities,
- Keep counsel informed of status, next steps, issues and findings on a periodic and timely basis,
- Have a case-independent WSRcg QA Senior Manager review our work internally before progressing to the next phase of work,
- Engage the triers of fact through simple, persuasive, non-jargon-filled narratives that present what happened, why, and who is responsible as made evident by the events, agreements, project management processes, quality of deliverables, SDLC deviations, decisions made and actions taken — or not, and the impact of these on product and/or project failure or success.
Back to Top
Our consulting and expert witness teams excel at what we do because WSRcg draws upon our extensive experience, expertise, knowledge and training as CIOs, CTOs, systems developers, project managers, consultants, investigators, expert witnesses, and as members of high tech company boards of directors.
Accordingly, WSRcg IT consultants and expert witnesses are very strong experts in all facets of large-scale computer and software development and projects, including:
- Systems development, engineering & implementation methodologies and project life cycles including: Waterfall, Spiral, Evolutionary Prototyping, Code and Fix, Staged delivery, COTS, AGILE Methods including Scrum, eXtreme Programming, Test Driven Development, DSDM and more
- Large-scale project cost and schedule estimation
- Project management, planning and schedule tracking
- Project staffing and executive management
- Risk management and quality management
- Scope management and configuration management
- Contract audits, crisis management and dispute resolution
- Test planning, execution, and acceptance management
- Architecture, design, and software engineering
- Post go-live operations
- Sampling of WSRcg platform & application domain expertise
For An introduction into each of the above areas click Services: IT Consulting Expertise.
In addition to the above IT methodology, management and process areas, WSRcg consulting and expert witness teams have experience and expertise in a wide range of industries and business areas, with a variety of uses of information technology, and on a myriad of systems, hardware, software, and networks including the more popular operating systems on all major platforms.
Back to Top
WSRcg experts have testified in court and arbitration about the proper and improper implementation of large-scale systems project practices in the following, typically very important, areas:
- contract clarity, ambiguity and interpretation
- contractual impact of course of conduct
- distinction of different contract models and business arrangements
- effectiveness of in-project dispute resolution mechanisms
- use of appropriate PM principles
- proper estimation practices
- completeness of project plans
- adequacy of scheduling tracking
- appropriate updates to plans
- accurate and appropriate project progress reporting
- completeness of requirements capture
- appropriate use of and deviation from SDLCs
- acceptable systems design practices and solutions and architectures
- compliance with industry standards
- suitability of architecture and hardware
- proper employment of automated tools
- delivery of specified requirements
- satisfactory staffing
- adequacy of qualifications
- proper allocation and motivation of resources
- acceptability of personnel turnover
- effectiveness of customer leadership and support
- timeliness of customer decision-making
- implementation and effectiveness of Project Steering Committee
- effectiveness of risk planning, management and control
- sufficiency of quality assurance processes
- sufficiency of quality management oversight
- acceptability of scope creep and scope control
- suitability of crisis management
- root cause of budget and schedule overruns
- sufficiency of testing
- adequacy of training and documentation
- acceptability of knowledge transfer
- complete, proper and auditable conversion
- readiness for go-live
- threshold of system’s errors and bugginess
- acceptability and remediation of material defects before distribution/production
- implementation of post go-live operations
- go-live implementation
- effectiveness of system maintenance/support and IT organization structure after go-live
- system scalability
- meeting of system performance requirements
- system abilities - including: usability, maintainability, scalability, portability, testability, correctability, reliability, recoverability, auditability, security
- trade secret misappropriation
- source code and user interface copyright infringement
- idea submission theft
- patent infringement
- trademark infringement
Back to Top
Our expert reports and testimony are clear, jargon-free, to the point and persuasive. Hence courts rely on our testimony to determine who's right and who's wrong, and to craft a fair resolution or judgment. We have testified in U.S. Superior Courts, Federal Courts, and the Court of Federal Claims, as well as in mediation and arbitration proceedings in the United States, Asia and Europe. Importantly, our expert opinions and reports have triggered favorable settlements of disputes before the start of court proceedings.
Clients trust us to act as their special technology industry experts and management advisors to help in directing computer systems projects. Technology Steering Committees of company Boards of Directors trust us to give them on-going guidance to plan, create and manage corporate technology and e-business strategies.
In the context of disputes, our insight authoritatively makes clear to the client, jury, court and adversary the actual causes of problems on a project. That insight enables the parties to settle a dispute, and if the dispute goes to court, it helps the court to reach a fair decision. Litigators trust our expertise, listen to our recommendations, act on the good and bad discoveries we make as we perform our work, and heed our opinions.
Back to Top
Call Warren S. Reid at (818) 986-8842 if you have any questions or wish to discuss your case.